Every January, following the rush—both of the adrenaline and time varieties—of the holiday season, carrier rates see a price hike. This coming year, 2017, will be no different and as the details are released, we’re going to collect them here on this blog, so be sure you bookmark this page.
We’ll tackle each of the big 3 carriers in the United States, starting with UPS.
- Package Services, effective December 26th, 2016
- Expect UPS Ground services to increase by an average of 4.9%.
- Expect UPS Air & International services to increase by an average of 4.9%.
- If your package’s longest side is over 48 inches (formerly 60 inches), the Additional Handling charge will be added to UPS Air and International packages.
- Retail rates and SurePost rates will also be changing, but we haven’t seen what those will be yet. Check back here on November 18th, 2016, for the official update!
- Click here to see how certain surcharges will be changing.
FedEx Rate Increases
- Package Services, effective January 2nd, 2017
- Expect FedEx Express shipping rates to increase by an average of 3.9% for domestic, import, and export services—all US-based.
- FedEx Express and FedEx Ground will be changing their dimensional weight calculation from 166 to 139 (the formula will now be: L x W x H / 139). This will make the dimensional weight heavier (costing you more) than before.
- FedEx Ground & Home Delivery will both see increases on average of 4.9%
- There are expected rate changes for FedEx SmartPost, but they haven’t been released yet.
- Surcharges will also be increasing. Click here to see exactly how.
USPS Rate Increases
Nothing has been released yet, but once any increases or changes are announced, we’ll let you know!